Friday, June 20, 2008

friday foray into fremont

today's adventure into the middle of nowhere began this morning at 6:00 o'clock. way too early, if you ask, but unfortunately necessary as i needed to be on the road by 7:00 o'clock. i didn't do too bad, as the rubber met the road a few minutes after.


thankfully, though,this was not in my parking spot ->




as i battled my way through 7:00 a.m. traffic (and 10 minutes too much of 196 construction) i cranked the stereo (coldplay's viva la vida) and prepared to begin enjoying my drive.





<---- it's kind of sad that this is the kind of thing that you get excited and voluntarily backtrack for.







I've been to fremont a few times, so even though I'd never been to this particular doctor's office, I knew exactly where it should be, and was able to find it quickly.
no turnarounds or illegal maneuvers necessary.

but I kept my eyes open. and you will be sooo glad that I did.


Exhibit A: Local Landscaping
if you're from any kind of small town or out in the country, this is probably nothing new. I haven't seen anything like this lately, though, so I had to stop.
while I didn't get a good shot of it, I actually saw a horse and buggy parked along the side of the road, stopped at a garage sale. and jenny, had I known how many garage sales I was going to pass today, I would have invited you along. it would have been AWESOME.
and while I didn't stop at any garage sales myself, I did note a number of larger ticket items I could have purchased: a dune buggy, various tractors, a snowmobile, hay, 4 wheelers, a jet ski that looked like a miniature boat & other random farm equipment that looked kind of scary.






Exhibit B: Be Vewy, Vewy Quwiet
I think it's obvious that this sign is lacking some majorly important details.




another thing I noticed out in the sticks is the motley assortment of "businesses" that are everywhere like weeds. I could have stopped at "Hillbilly's Automotive" or "Determination Equestrian Center" (is it because the people are determined or the horses are?)
Or there was a sign (handpainted, on a piece of wood, no less) that said, "Used Sporting Goods" "Cheap." but first you had to traverse a driveway that was about 1/8 mile long, to a house that was half hidden by trees. yeah. that's not creepy.
***
Exhibit C: The Tourist Trap
i don't even want to know what it is you'd be observing.
***
Exhibit D: Marketing 101
this is the side of a building, on the outskirts of Muskegon. it makes me wonder... are they that on top of their inventory that they always have 500 guns? I guess I'll never know.
friends, have a safe and happy weekend. chris and I are trekking up to cadillac this evening for a visit with the parental units. There's a hint of scrabble in the air . . .

No comments: